The urine POC test is a cost effective and prompt method of determining recent drug use, with screening results available within minutes of the sample being collected.
This type of testing is used by both private individual individuals and is also used widely throughout various industries and commercial organisations for random or pre-employment drug testing.
Many organisations choose this drug test option as it provides the following benefits:
- Instant screen results providing an indication of drug abuse. For example, when results are time sensitive for quick implementation of a Health & Safety programme or fast deployment of personnel
- Cost effective
- Suitable for mass screening of workforce
- Quality device providing reliable initial indication of drug abuse
There are many benefits in using the urine POC drug test, however there are limitations that must be taken into consideration before deciding if this is the correct test for your circumstances. These include:
- Accuracy of the test compared to urine laboratory screen and confirmation testing. The laboratory test has more stringent cut-off levels when analysing the samples.
- False positive and negatives can occur with the POC Test. We strongly recommend that all non-negative results from a POC Test are confirmed with the laboratory test. Only the confirmation testing at the laboratory is legally defensible.
- If there is a large amount of non-negative test results, the additional cost to confirm the results with the laboratory test may outweigh any initial cost benefits.
- Taking disciplinary action in the workplace based solely on POC Test results is not advisable. This test is not legally defensible due to potential false negative or positives. Laboratory confirmation testing must be undertaken before making any disciplinary decisions.
- For on-site testing i.e. at your own premises or for workplace testing, secure facilities required e.g. secure toilet.
- Detection period is only short (3-5 days). If you require a longer period of analysis, it may be worth considering hair drug testing.