- Blood alcohol testing is usually required in combination with a hair alcohol test for court and legal matters to prove abstinence from alcohol.
- As a result, laboratory reports from this alcohol test are court admissible.
- Blood alcohol and hair testing is a popular choice for family court and legal matters.
- All administration processes certified to ISO 9001, 14001 and 27001.
- UKAS 17025 ISO accredited laboratory testing.
- Test results in just 3 working days.
- Competitive costs from only £175.
- Blood collection at selected locations only.
Please see below for more detailed information about blood alcohol testing. Alternatively, please call 0800 988 7107 to speak to a Clinical Advisor.
How does Blood Alcohol Testing work?
Blood alcohol testing should be used in combination with a Hair Alcohol Test. As such, this will provide the most accurate picture of alcohol intake.
The haematology report (Full blood count) includes Mean Corpuscular Volume (MCV) analysis. This measures the volume of the red blood cells, to indicate a person’s alcohol intake.
Heavy and frequent drinking increases the size of these cells to outside of the normal range. Therefore, an increased volume of the red blood cells could indicate excessive alcohol consumption.
The biochemistry analysis includes the Liver Function Test (LFT) and Carbohydrate Deficient Transferrin (CDT) analysis.
The LFT measures various enzymes in the blood that are produced by the liver. Long term alcohol intake causes damage and inflammation of the liver, causing an abnormal result. The test will look for the level of certain makers associated with liver damage. This includes Total Protein, Albumin, and Globulin. If the level of a marker is above or below the normal range, this can indicate the liver is not functioning correctly.
CDT is widely recognised as a bio-marker of chronic alcohol consumption. Transferrin is produced in the liver. When a person is drinking alcohol at a chronic level, carbohydrates are removed from the transferrin molecule. As a result, when there is a high percentage of transferrin with reduced amounts of carbohydrates (CDT), it can indicate the sample donor is abusing alcohol.
The CDT analysis covers a period of approximately 2 weeks. Whereas an abnormal LFT result is caused by sustained excessive drinking.
When used in combination with a hair alcohol test, which covers up to a 6-month period, the most accurate long-term overview of a person’s alcohol use is provided.
Example of CDT Interpretation:
- <1.6% – No excess alcohol intake
- 1.6 – 1.9% – Intake may be high but not necessarily in the range of dependence
- >2.0% – Excess alcohol intake
As a UKAS 17025 accredited laboratory, you can use all test reports for legal and court purposes. Also, all processes follow ISO 9001, ISO 27001 and ISO 14001 standards. In addition, the collection and lab analysis follow EWDTS guidelines.
When to use Blood Alcohol Testing?
Blood tests indicate if alcohol is being consumed excessively. As a result, a test may be required for legal proceedings, or to monitor a person’s alcohol intake. In addition, social drinkers and even binge drinking episodes should not cause an abnormal test result.
For this reason, a blood alcohol test cannot be used in isolation to prove abstinence. As such, we recommend a hair alcohol test in combination.
A variety of civil or legal sectors, including Social Services request this test. We always recommend a combination of blood alcohol testing with the hair alcohol test. In addition, private individuals also use the test to determine alcohol intake or evidence of abstinence.
Also, an Expert Witness Statement can give a further understanding of the test report. You can discuss this at the time of your booking.
Choosing this test
This test provides the following benefits:
- Performed in a UKAS 17025 accredited laboratory facility. Therefore, test results are court admissible.
- Provides the most accurate longer-term analysis of an individual’s alcohol intake, when used in combination with the hair alcohol test.
- An Expert Witness Statement provides further understanding of the test report. Thereby, making it especially useful for court cases.
- All processes follow ISO 9001, ISO 27001 and ISO 14001 standards.
There are many benefits in using hair alcohol testing. But there are limitations you must consider.
- It will not pick up single use alcohol consumption.
- Requires a blood sample.
- We recommend not to use this test in isolation. A court of law may not accept the result due to the short detection window associated with blood alcohol testing.
For workplace alcohol testing, we recommend the Breath Alcohol Test.
Blood Alcohol Test Costs
There are several different factors that influence blood alcohol test costs. These include:
- Whether you book an appointment at a clinic or opt for the mobile collection service.
- Or, if you also need a blood alcohol analysis as well.
- Also, the length of time required for the period of analysis.
- Finally, discounted cost when ordered with the hair alcohol test
Blood alcohol test costs are from only £395. This includes hair alcohol analysis. Also, if needed, we can produce an Expert Witness Statement for an extra £145. This can provide more detailed information about a result.
We identify each donor at the appointment, using photographic identification. Next, we collect the blood sample, seal and barcode the collection tube. The entire collection process follows strict chain of custody procedures. For instance, you will need to sign consent to have your blood sample tested. Also, you will witness the sample collector tamper proofing your blood sample.
We perform your blood test under strict chain of custody protocols by fully trained and certified Phlebotomists. The test is available at selected Drug Testing Clinics or via the mobile collection service.
Finally, we will issue your test report within 3 to 5 working days of receiving your sample. Usually, this is only 3 working days. Also, blood alcohol test costs include the results package.
Blood alcohol testing is available at selected UK clinics only. Or, you can request a trained mobile collection officer to attend your location.
Our Clinical Advisors will guide you through the entire booking. This includes arranging the appointment for you. Furthermore, they will answer any technical questions you have.
All advertised prices are exclusive of VAT.