- Breath alcohol testing is usually required in combination with a drug test in the workplace.
- It is popular in the workplace either in isolation or with a drug test.
- Evidential results from Home Office approved breathalysers.
- All administration processes certified to ISO 9001, 14001 and 27001.
- Instant results on-site or at selected clinics nationwide.
- Cost per person can be as little as **£40 per person including a drug test.
- Breath alcohol testing at selected locations only.
Please see below for more detailed information about breath alcohol testing. Alternatively, please call 0800 988 7107 to speak to a Clinical Advisor.
** Depends on number of individuals tested.
How does Breath Alcohol Testing work?
The breath alcohol test option is an effective and accredited method. Usually, it is the most common way of determining if individuals are over the legal drink drive limit. Or, specific industry limits set here in the UK. For example, the following limits apply:
- England, Wales and Northern Ireland Drink Drive limit = 35μg/100ml (Micrograms of alcohol per one hundred millilitres of breath)
- Scotland Drink Drive Limit = 22μg/100ml
- Rail Industry = 13μg/100ml
- Aviation = 9μg/100ml
We can perform the alcohol test on its own. Or, it can be undertaken with a drug test. For example, the breath alcohol test is used in conjunction with the following drug tests:
- Urine Instant Point of Care Drug Test
- Urine Laboratory Screen & Confirmation Drug Test
- Saliva Instant Point of Care Drug Test
- Saliva Laboratory Screen & Confirmation Drug Test
As with drug testing, each test donor is legally identified at the appointment. Next, a breath sample is obtained and recorded on the chain of custody form. In addition, depending on your requirements, evidential print-outs can be obtained from the breathalyser to confirm the result. For example, this is a stipulation for Network Rail alcohol and drugs testing.
Depending on requirements and/or your drug and alcohol policy, it may be necessary to obtain 2 breath samples from the donor depending on the results.
Finally, the alcohol breath results are then provided to both the donor and organisation (if applicable). After this, depending on the result, action must be taken in conjunction with procedures as set out in your approved drugs and alcohol policy.
When to use Breath Alcohol Testing?
This test is recommended for all circumstances in which a short detection window for the presence of alcohol applies.
It is a legally defensible test for court and employment tribunals. Also, it is the alcohol test of choice for workplace drug testing for industry and commercial organisations. For instance, we use it for random drug testing, pre-employment drug testing and ‘For Cause’ situations. As a result, this demonstrates the high degree of confidence in this methodology throughout industry.
Choosing this Test
Organisations and individuals choose this test option as it provides the following benefits:
- Reliable method of testing, using established units of measure in the UK.
- Home Office approved breathalysers.
- No additional cost for breath testing when undertaking a urine/ oral fluid drug test.
- We do not require special facilities, for example a secure toilet.
- Suitable for mass screening of workforce.
- Instant results.
- Provides the most accurate short-term analysis of an individual’s alcohol intake.
- All processes follow ISO 9001, ISO 27001 and ISO 14001 standards.
There are many benefits in using the breath alcohol test. However, you must take the short detection window into account. For example, If you require evidence of medium to longer term alcohol use, the hair alcohol test in combination with the Blood Alcohol test could be more appropriate for your needs.
There are many benefits in using this test. But, as mentioned above, you should not use this test for medium to longer term alcohol use.
Breath Alcohol Test Costs
There are different factors that influence breath alcohol test costs. These include:
- Whether you book an appointment at a clinic or opt for the mobile collection service.
- Also, whether you have the breath alcohol test in combination with a drug test.
- The number of drug test donors that you want screening in one booking.
Breath alcohol test costs are from only £40 per person. If you wish to book an appointment for just one person at a clinic or mobile service, the cost would be more. For example, the cost at a clinic for one individual is £130.
We identify each donor at the appointment, using photographic identification. Next, we obtain the breath sample and record the result. The entire collection process follows strict chain of custody procedures. For instance, you will need to sign consent to have your breath sample tested. Also, depending on the result, you could have 2 breath samples taken.
The breath alcohol test is available at selected Drug Testing Clinics or via the mobile collection service.
Finally, you will have your results at the appointment. We will then provide a copy of the chain of custody form to you.
Our Clinical Advisors will guide you through the entire booking. This includes arranging the appointment for you. Furthermore, they will answer any technical questions you have.
All advertised prices are exclusive of VAT.