- The urine laboratory drug test is considered best practice within the industry.
- As a result, laboratory reports from this drug test are court admissible.
- Furthermore, it has an effective drug detection window for the average person of up to *five days.
- Used for pre-employment, random and for-cause testing. Also used for Network Rail drug and alcohol testing.
- All administration processes certified to ISO 9001, 14001 and 27001.
- UKAS 17025 ISO accredited laboratory testing.
- Screen results within just 2 working days. Confirmation testing just 3 working days.
- Costs as little as **£50 per person including a breath alcohol screen.
- Both on-site and off-site sample collection available.
Please see below for more detailed information about the urine laboratory drug test. Alternatively, please call 0800 988 7107 to speak to a Clinical Advisor.
* Dependant on multiple factors.
** Depends on number of individuals tested.
How does a Urine Laboratory Drug Test work?
After taking a drug, it enters a person’s bloodstream. Next, the drug transfers from the liver to the bladder. As a result, what remains of the drug is excreted out of the body through urine.
First, we perform a screen of the sample in the lab. The screen is very accurate. As a result, it provides an advantage over the urine instant Point of Care (POC) Drug Test. The screen takes 1 to 2 working days from the appointment. If the lab detects nothing in the screen, we will issue a negative (Pass) report. But if the sample screens non-negative, the sample will go on for further testing. In this case, we will issue an ‘Undergoing Further Analysis’ notification.
Confirmation Drug Testing
This will identify the drug or metabolite found in the sample. Also, it will determine the quantity of the drug present. This process can take up to a further 3 working days.
Next, if the presence of the drug is over a specific cut-off level (see below), we will issue a positive lab report. This could provide evidence of abuse.
In this case, the report may specify whether the drug and its quantity are therapeutic. For instance, in line with declared medication. To confirm this, we also offer an optional Medical Review Service.
We can include many different drug groups in the analysis. These include:
- Amphetamines, including Methamphetamine and Ecstasy (MDMA)
- Benzodiazepine, including Diazepam and Temazepam
* The urine test can show the level of alcohol in a person’s body. But they are more likely to request a breath alcohol or blood alcohol test if available.
Urine drug tests use cut-off levels. This means that a result will only be positive if the amount of the drug is above a certain level. Cut-off levels follow EWDTS guidelines. Having cut-off levels helps prevent false-positive results. Also, they reduce the chance of testing positive after only passive exposure to a drug.
Urine Laboratory Drug Test Detection
Many factors affect the length of time that this test can detect a certain drug in the body. These factors include:
- body mass
- hydration levels
- the acidity of the urine
- how long ago the person took the drug
Also, other factors include gender, age and even genetics.
If a person uses a drug often or in large quantities, a urine test could detect the drug for a longer period.
For example, the detection times for cannabis can depend on how often a person uses it.
Below is an example of how long drugs can stay in the system for.
Other options are also available for certain circumstances such as spiking incidents. When you call us, a Clinical Advisor can provide details about this service.
Our laboratory is UKAS 17025 accredited. As a result, all test reports can be used for legal and court purposes. Also, all processes follow ISO 9001, ISO 27001 and ISO 14001 standards. Furthermore, this is the standard test for Network Rail drug and alcohol testing. We are an accredited provider for these tests.
When to use Urine Laboratory Drug Testing?
Do you need an accredited drug test that has a short detection window? If yes, urine lab testing is ideal. In particular, this is an excellent solution for drug testing in the workplace. For instance, you can use the laboratory report as evidence in a disciplinary process.
It is the test of choice for industry and commercial organisations. It’s many uses include:
- Random screening programme
- Pre-employment tests as part of your recruitment process
- ‘For Cause’ situations.
Also, a variety of, private, civil, and legal sectors use it. For example, Social Services utilise it to check drug use. Or, to provide evidence that drugs are not detected in an individual’s system i.e. proof of abstinence. For shorter or longer detection windows for drugs, consider the following alternatives:
Choosing this test
This test provides the following benefits:
- UKAS 17025 Accredited drug and alcohol test
- Includes alcohol testing in urine as standard
- No extra cost for confirmation testing – included in the screen price
- Suitable for mass screening of workforce
- All laboratory reports are in secure PDF format via email and password protected
- As a result, all processes are GDPR compliant
If you decide to choose urine lab testing, you must consider the following.
- A short detection window. If you need evidence of longer term drug use, Hair Drug testing may be more appropriate for your needs.
- Secure toilet facilities must be available for sample collection.
Finally, you can discuss all pros and cons with our team. There are other drug testing options that might be more suitable for your needs.
Urine Laboratory Drug Testing Costs
There are several different factors that influence the Urine Lab Drug Test cost. These are:
- Whether you book an appointment at a Clinic or opt for the mobile collection service.
- How many donors you want to test at the appointment.
The cost of one individual booking this test is from £145. But, depending on the factors listed above, the cost of testing more donors can be as little as £50 per person. Also, the price of a Medical Review is only £95 extra. This would confirm that declared medication is in line with therapeutic use. This service is optional but can be useful for certain situations.
If you are a business, we can cater for both on-site and off-site appointments. We can help you introduce drug testing in your workplace. Or improve your existing programme. Please call 0800 988 7107 to speak to a Clinical Advisor who will outline all the options available to you.
Options include utilising a clinic for off-site tests. Or a sample collection officer attending your facilities to perform on-site testing. Also, you can request a commercial drug and alcohol test quote here.
Private individuals can also book this test. In this case, you can attend a clinic or have a mobile collection officer attend your location.
Our team will guide you through the entire booking. Also, they will answer any technical questions you may have. Finally, our network of locations mean that you can access the service across the UK. In turn providing you will convenience and flexibility for your appointment options.
All advertised prices are exclusive of VAT.