The Breath Alcohol Test detects the presence alcohol in the breath using a Home Office approved evidential Breathalyser device.
This alcohol test option is an effective and accredited method of determining if individuals are over the legal drink drive or specific industry limits set here in the UK.
- England, Wales and Northern Ireland Drink Drive limit = 35μg/100ml (Micrograms of alcohol per one hundred millilitres of breath)
- Scotland Drink Drive Limit = 22μg/100ml
Many organisations have implemented zero tolerance to alcohol in the workplace and as such anything above 0μg/100ml is deemed as a fail.
The Breath Alcohol test can be used in isolation or in conjunction with the following drug tests:
- Urine Instant Point of Care Drug Test
- Urine Laboratory Screen & Confirmation Drug Test
- Oral Fluid Laboratory Screen & Confirmation Drug Test
Each Test Donor is legally identified at the appointment, breath samples are collected and depending on your requirements, evidential print-outs can be obtained from the breathalyser to confirm the result.
The Breath Alcohol test is performed under strict chain of custody protocols by fully trained and certified sample collection officers.
The test is available at some selected Crystal Health Drug Testing Clinics or via the mobile collection service.
Depending on requirements and/or your drug and alcohol policy, it may be necessary to obtain up to 3 breath samples from the donor depending on the results.
The alcohol breath results are then provided to both the donor and organisation (if applicable) on the relevant chain of custody form. Depending on the result, action must be taken in conjunction with procedures as set out in an approved drug and alcohol policy.
All administration including the alcohol test results process is performed in compliance with ISO 9001, ISO 27001 and ISO 14001.
Why and when would you use this test?
Crystal Health recommend this test for all circumstances in which a short detection window for the presence of alcohol applies.
It is a legally defensible test for Court and Industrial Tribunals.
It is the alcohol test of choice for workplace drug testing for industry and commercial organisations.
Where applicable, It is used as standard for random drug testing, pre-employment drug testing and ‘For Cause’ situations.
This demonstrates the high degree of confidence in this alcohol testing methodology throughout industry.
In addition, this highly accurate test analysis can be used in a variety of civil or legal sectors (e.g. Social Services) along with private individuals to monitor short term alcohol use, or provide evidence that alcohol is not detected in an individual’s system i.e. proof of abstinence.
Organisations and individuals choose the Breath Alcohol Test option as it provides the following benefits:
- Reliable method of testing using established units of measure in the UK
- Home Office approved breathalysers
- No additional cost for breath testing when undertaking a urine drug test
- Special secure facilities are not required
- Suitable for mass screening of workforce
Limitations to consider for this test:
There are many benefits in using the Breath test, however there are limitations that must be taken into consideration before deciding if this is the correct alcohol test for your circumstances.
- Detection window. If you require evidence of medium to longer term alcohol use, the Hair Alcohol test in combination with the Blood Alcohol test may be more appropriate for your needs.
- Home Office approved device
- Instant results
- Secure facility not required
- Short window of detection
How much does this alcohol test cost?
There are a number of different factors that influence the cost of the Breath Alcohol Test, these include:
- Whether you book an appointment at a Drug Testing Clinic or opt for the mobile collection service
- If the Breath test is to be performed in isolation or in combination with a urine drug test
- The number of drug test donors that you wish to be tested in one booking
The cost of one individual booking a Breath Alcohol test is from £130 + VAT.
Depending on the factors listed above, the cost of commercial testing for a number of employees can be as little as £40 + VAT per person.
How can you book this alcohol test?
The Breath test can be used to determine the presence of short term alcohol use in the workplace.
If you are a commercial organisation and considering implementing a testing programme that requires Breath Alcohol testing, please call 0800 988 7107 to speak to a Clinical Advisor who will outline the options available to you.
This will include the option of utilising a drug testing clinic for off-site tests, or a sample collection officer attending your facilities to perform on-site drug testing. Alternatively, request a commercial drug and alcohol testing quote.
Private individuals can also book this Breath test and attend a Drug Testing Clinic. However, the limitations of this alcohol test must be taken into consideration and subsequently this test may not be suitable for you depending on your circumstances.
Our Clinical Advisors will guide you through the entire booking, appointment and drug testing process and will answer any technical questions you may have.
The Oral Fluid Laboratory Screen & Confirmation Drug Test confirms the presence of drugs of abuse using UKAS 17025 accredited laboratory immunoassay screening...