The urine instant Point of Care (POC) Drug Test indicates the potential presence of drugs of abuse using tried and trusted immunoassay screening analysis.
This test option is a cost effective and prompt method of determining recent drug use and screening results are available within minutes of the sample being collected.
The Standard Urinalysis Panel of 6 drug groups is listed below. Various additional drug groups can be tested upon request and the POC Test can be combined with a Breathalyser or Alcohol Saliva Screen to meet your testing requirements.
Certification to ISO 9001 and ISO 13485 ensures that the devices are manufactured and distributed with a quality-focussed approach. For increased quality assurance, the drug test cup is CE Marked in accordance with 98/79/EC.
Depending on your requirements, additional drugs can be tested using this method, these include:
The analysis is performed against predefined cut-off levels for all drugs tested. The link to the table below details this information, this will assist you in your decision for the correct test for your circumstances.
The test is performed under strict chain of custody protocols by fully trained and certified sample collection officers. In addition, each Test Donor is legally identified at the appointment. The test is available at Crystal Health network of UK Drug Testing Clinics or via the mobile collection service.
Additionally, all administration including the test results process is performed in compliance with ISO 9001, ISO 27001 and ISO 14001. POC test results are provided at the appointment to the donor and the donor’s organisation if applicable.
Click here to view groups and cut off levels>>
Click here to view Detection Windows>>
Why and when would you use this drug test?
The Urine POC Test is used widely throughout various industries and commercial organisations for random drug testing purposes. It is also used for pre-employment testing. However, it is not standardly used for pre-employment purposes as prospective employers prefer the more accurate Urine Laboratory Drug and Alcohol Testing
Organisations choose the POC Test option as it provides the following benefits:
- Instant screen results providing an indication of drug abuse. For example, when results are time sensitive for quick implementation of a Health & Safety programme or fast deployment of personnel
- Cost effective
- Suitable for mass screening of workforce
- Quality device providing reliable initial indication of drug abuse
If you are a private individual considering a POC Test, please call and speak to a Clinical Advisor. There are limitations to this drug test that you must consider before making your decision. Read on for further information.
Limitations to consider for this test:
There are many benefits in using the Urine POC Drug Test, however there are limitations that must be taken into consideration before deciding if this is the correct test for your circumstances.
The most important consideration is the accuracy of the test compared to Urine Laboratory Screening and Confirmation Testing. The laboratory test has more stringent cut-off levels when analysing the samples. False positive and negatives can occur with the POC Test. Crystal Health strongly recommend that all non-negative results from a POC Test are confirmed with the laboratory test. As a result, although the POC test is a cheaper option, additional costs can be incurred for a high rate of non-negative POC test results.
To assist in your decision and help you choose the right drug test, we have summarised the limitations and alternatives below:
- The POC Test is NOT legally defensible. If you require a legally defensible drug test report, we recommend using the Urine Laboratory Drug Test, or at the very least, confirm POC results with the laboratory test.
- Consider that if you anticipate a large amount of non-negative test results, the additional cost to confirm the results with the laboratory test may outweigh any initial cost benefits. We strongly recommend choosing the laboratory test as your first choice in these circumstances.
- The presence of alcohol is not tested for in the POC Drug Test. If required, a separate Oral Fluid or Breath Alcohol Test can be performed (see below). If you wish for alcohol to be tested in the urine sample, you must choose the laboratory test which provides the option of testing for drugs and alcohol.
- Taking disciplinary action in the workplace based solely on POC Test results is not advisable. For reasons explained above, this test is not legally defensible due to false negative or positives. Laboratory confirmation testing must be undertaken before making any disciplinary decisions in compliance with a drug and alcohol policy.
- Detection window. If you require evidence of longer term drug use, Hair drug testing may be more appropriate for your needs.
- For on-site testing i.e. at your own premises or for workplace testing, secure facilities required e.g. secure toilet.
- Cost Effective
- Instant results
- Reliable CE marked devices
- Alcohol Testing can be done at no additional charge
- Not legally defensible
- Non-negatives require Laboratory Confirmation
- On-site facilities required e.g. secure toilet
How much does this drug test cost?
There are a number of different factors that influence the cost of the POC Test, these include:
- Whether you book an appointment at a Drug Testing Clinic or opt for the mobile collection service
- The number of drugs you wish to be tested for
- The number of donors that you wish to be tested in one booking
The cost of one individual booking a urine POC Test is from £130 + VAT.
Depending on the factors listed above, the cost of commercial testing for a number of employees can be as little as £35 + VAT per person.
If required, non-negative drug test samples can be sent securely for laboratory screening and confirmation testing for an additional £90 + VAT per person.
Optional alcohol testing can be performed in conjunction with the urine POC Test at no additional cost, using either Oral Fluid or Breath Analysis. All Crystal Health Breath Alcohol Testing is performed using Home Office approved breathalysers.
How can you book this drug test?
The POC Test is normally associated with workplace testing, primarily as a deterrent included in a drug testing programme and part of a drug and alcohol policy. If you are a commercial organisation and considering implementing a random drug testing programme, please call 0800 988 7107 to speak to a Clinical Advisor who will outline the options available to you. These will include the option of utilising a drug testing clinic for off-site tests, or a sample collection officer attending your facilities to perform on-site testing. Alternatively, request a commercial drug and alcohol testing quote.
Private individuals can also book this test and attend a Drug Testing Clinic. However, the limitations of this test must be taken into consideration and subsequently this particular test may not be suitable for you depending on your circumstances.
Our Clinical Advisors will guide you through the entire booking, appointment and testing process and will answer any technical questions you may have.
The Oral Fluid Laboratory Screen & Confirmation Drug Test confirms the presence of drugs of abuse using UKAS 17025 accredited laboratory immunoassay screening...